Monday, September 29, 2008

Merrill J. Bateman, Starch, and WOO

Yesterday Brian and I gave talks in our ward. The topic was The Parable of the Talents. I talked about how we can develop talents through our jobs. I told the following story I haven't told a lot of people: I worked at the BYU Laundry when I was going to BYU. My first job there was to iron lots and lots of shirts. The hardest ones to iron were the ones that had a lot of starch. Heavy starch to be exact. Merrill J. Bateman was the President of BYU at the time and had his shirts washed there with heavy starch. It was impossible to get his shirts to be perfectly ironed. They would be sent back to me a lot to be redone. It was really frustrating. So everytime I read one of his talks or heard him speak, I would have bad feelings about him. I had to overcome those feelings with time. So from this job, I learned how to iron clothes and how to forgive or to not hold a grudge.

Apparently, the people who we bought our house from were really popular. Everytime people in our ward ask us where we live, the conversation usually goes like this : "We live in the Larsen's home." And then they say, "Oh, we love them. We miss them. They were such amazing people." From what I have gathered, "Sister" Larsen was basically a motivational speaker in the ward. So I've decided that she has the gift of WOO: Winning Others Over. Do any of you know people that have this gift?

4 comments:

Douglas Quist said...

First of all, I hope that Pres. Bateman google's his name some time and your blog comes up and you get a letter in the Mail!! ha ah ha, I would love it.
The shocker in all of this is that Sister Larsen moved into my ward and I was won over instantly..JUST KIDDING. All I have to say is that I WOO over all the ladies, hence the reason I am married..

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

Lisa,

You make me laugh! I read your brothers comment, he is funny too. It got me thinking, what would you do if you received a letter or a phone call from Pres. Bateman?

Stephanie said...

That is sooo funny. You've never told me that story before. I almost forgot that you ironed at BYU. It's a tie with my favorite of your jobs: washing dishes at the Cannon Center. Nothing beats my BYU job: cleaning the men's varsity football locker room and restroom. Gross!@!
I love that you told that story in Sacrament Meeting :)

Leslie said...

How funny!! One thing that I learned... your house is never yours until you move out. It will always be, we live in the ________'s house. And then when you move out...only then will people call it your house.